Nima is alive…
- I contacted Bahrami Hospital and tried to get in touch with the head of Accident and Emergency, Dr Dariush Fahimi, he was apparently in holiday, or so was I told. I then attempted to speak to the head of Paediatric Surgeons, Dr Hooshang Pourang, he was not available (no one answered). I then tried to speak to the social worker of the hospital, no luck in this one as well. I have a feeling that they may not be answering me because I’m calling from England and it is regarding a sensitive case.
- I tried to call UNICEF – Tehran. No one took my call.
- I called Jame Jam News Paper in Tehran, spoke to the Public Relations department. They guy suggested that I should call back in the afternoon to talk to the relevant group (Incidents). Which I shall do.
- I spoke to Supporting Children of Iran Association NGO, the social worker was not available, but the person in charge there took my details and said I will be contacted as soon as she becomes available (tomorrow). She couldn’t confirm that whether it was Nima or not. Apparently, their social worker also knows what Nima’s family name is/was.
- I just managed to speak to UNICEF – Tehran, department of Public Relations. She said we do not work on case specific matters in Iran. Our services are limited to provide the governmental and nongovernmental organisations with specialised trainings in child safeguarding and recognition of abuse. It is not our area of expertise to deal with abuse cases. At the most, we may condemn a case and request pursuance, but that is as far is it may go. She also recommended an NGO to me and suggested that they were dealing with Nima’s case and held some training sessions for Nima’s mother at the time. The name of this NGO is Mehrafarin.
- I spoke to the person in charge in Mehrafarin Charitable NGO. They confirmed that they were in direct contact with Nima’s family. And they confirmed that Nima is alive and rejected the relevancy of that news to Nima. But to reassure me, she said that she will contact Nima’s family again and get back to me. She also mentioned that she will pursue Mohammad Pooya’s case and report back to me. They are aware of Nima’s family name, and they will inform us of it at the next stage. They also confirmed that child’s first name is Nima (and that is the correct name).
- I spoke to Jame Jam, department of incidents, the guy didn’t even let me finish. He said: I’m sorry sir, we cannot provide you with any further information. All the information that we had were those published within the news paper. Good-bye! How dare they call themselves journalists.